Fedor Emelianenko is crushing his sparring partners in preparation for fight with "Big Foot" Silva

Arguably the greatest heavyweight fighter of all time, Fedor Emelianenko is looking to exact revenge on the division he once ruled with an iron fist as he prepares for one of the most prestigious tournaments assembled in the mixed martial arts community. No stranger to the Grand Prix format himself, Emelianenko had competed in PRIDE’s [...]

Source: http://www.fighters.com/01/20/fedor-emelianenko-is-crushing-his-sparring-partners-in-preparation-for-fight-with-big-foot-silva

Melvin Guillard Cody Guinn Jorge Gurgel Andre Gusmao Alexander Gustafsson

BELLATOR NEWS: Iraq War vet Steve Carl officially confirmed for season four welterweight tournament

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

Logo_Bellator_150_209.jpg

Bellator has confirmed the seventh participant in their season four welterweight tournament, as the organization announced on Monday the participation of previously reported Steve Carl in the field.

The 26-year-old is a former U.S. Army sergeant who served in the Iraq War, taking up MMA while he was stationed at Fort Hood in Texas. The 14-2 professional holds a 2-1 mark inside Bellator's cage.

"I don't feel like I've ever been able to show my true potential out there in any of my fights, but I think fans can expect to see a more explosive and fired-up Steve Carl than ever before in 2011," said Carl. "What was good enough last year isn't going to cut it this year."

"I think the level of talent in this upcoming welterweight tournament is phenomenal. It's really off the charts this year. I'm planning on fighting from the top to the bottom this year. I think that the further I make it in the tournament, the easier my opponents are going to get. I'm expecting to fight one of the best guys right off the bat, so that's what I'm getting ready for."

Carl's taken a rough path to this tournament. His fighting career was nearly cut short at the end of 2006, when he was badly injured in a car crash that had doctors questioning whether he'd walk again. But Carl persevered and made his way back to fighting, and now looks to enter a tough field of 170 lb. fighters for a $100,000 payday and a shot at Bellator Welterweight Champion Ben Askren.

"Steve Carl has been on an incredible journey, and I'm very happy to see him compete in this stacked tournament," said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. "Steve has been a tremendous competitor throughout his fights in Bellator, and I expect him to take his game to the next level in this tournament."

The season four tournament now has seven confirmed participants, as Carl joins Dan Hornbuckle, Rick Hawn, Brent Weedman, Jim Wallhead, Chris Lozano, and Lyman Good. Jay Hieron has been reported as the eighth participant, but he has not been officially confirmed by Bellator. Bellator's fourth season begins this March on MTV2.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Bellator/article_8183.shtml

Ryo Piranha Chonan  Dan The Sandman Christison  Logan The Pink Pounder Clark  Steve The Snake Claveau  Rich No Love Clementi 

UFC Will Stream Fights on Facebook

by Michael David SmithThe UFC has announced that two fights on the non-televised portion of Saturday night's Fight for the Troops event will be streamed live on the promotion's official Facebook page.

"I'm always looking for ways to give fans fights for free and this is just another example of that," UFC President Dana White said in a statement. "Facebook is such a great tool for people to stay connected and we're excited to put two live fights on our UFC page for free."

The UFC, more than any other sports league, has used social networking to connect to fans. So from that perspective, it's easy to see why they'd do this Facebook deal. But the deal still seems a little weird.

 

Permalink | Email this | Linking Blogs | Comments

Source: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/01/18/ufc-will-stream-fights-on-facebook/

Roger Gracie Rolles Gracie Royce Gracie Royler Gracie Ryan Gracie

The MMA sched is light: Let's watch people steal hats and Dana White dance

The fellas over at Fightlinker can always fill the slow periods in the mixed martial arts schedule. Things heat up again next weekend with Ultimate Fight Night 23 from Ft. Hood, Tx. and then Strikeforce: Diaz vs. "Cyborg" on Jan. 29. Until then, let's kill some time with these videos.

What's more entertaining? Fans stealing hats or Dana White "jamming" on stage with Snoop Dogg in Las Vegas?

Tip via Fightlinker. Enjoy the GIFs as well.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/The-MMA-sched-is-light-Let-s-watch-people-steal?urn=mma-305631

Paul Buentello  Josh Burkman  Mikey Burnett  Murilo Bustamante  Grant Campbell 

UFC Fight Night 24, March 26

UFC Fight Night 24
Saturday, March 26
Key Arena
Seattle, Washington
Airing on Spike


* Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (#9-tie Ranked Light Heavyweight) vs. Tito Ortiz
* Dan Hardy vs. Anthony Johnson
* Aaron Simpson vs. Mario Miranda
* Amir Sadollah vs. Duane Ludwig
* John Hathaway vs. Kris McCray
* Nam Phan vs. Leonard Garcia
* Michael McDonald vs. Nick Pace
* Jon Madsen vs. Mike Russow
* Sean McCorkle vs. Christian Morecraft
* Alex Caceres vs. Mackens Semerzier
* Dennis Hallman vs. T.J. Waldburger
* Rob Kimmons vs. Dongi Yang

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Upcoming_Events_42/article_7775.shtml

Jens Pulver Mike Pyle Nathan Quarry Jordan Radev Hector Ramirez

MMA Marketplace: Eat with the Octagon Girls, support the troops

With the UFC's Fight for the Troops at Fort Hood in just a few weeks, the promotion has ramped up their efforts to support the troops. They've launched an auction with all proceeds going to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which provides assistance to military veterans who have been critically injured in the performance of their duty, and their families.

You can bid on the Ultimate VIP experience, where you go to the fights, walk out with your favorite fighter, stay with his corner during the fight, and more. In another auction item, you can bid to have dinner with these lovely ladies:

Other items on the auction block include a UFC Camaro, a training session with Randy Couture and Forrest Griffin and a real life "Ghost Hunters" experience. Place your bids here. If that's a bit too pricey for you, you can still make a donation to the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund in any amount.

In the last event for the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, the UFC raised more than $4 million. You can help them surpass that, and possibly have dinner with Chandella, Arianny and Britney.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/MMA-Marketplace-Eat-with-the-Octagon-Girls-sup?urn=mma-303708

Kerry Schall Nino Schembri Fabiano Scherner Semmy Schilt Alex Schoenauer

Hominick fighting for title shot, Roop isn?t; Is that fair?

Mark Hominick is just over a day away from the second biggest fight of his life. If he downs George Roop at Fight for the Troops 2, Hominick gets a shot at the biggest fight of his career, a title shot against Jose Aldo, the UFC featherweight champ. Roop's situation is different. Even with a win, there is no title shot. Essentially this is just another fight ... for now.

MMA fans have grown accustomed to title eliminators, so why switch the approach? Roop is the guy who could be complaining, but he's not. He understands the reality of the 145-pound division.

"I don't take it too much as disrespect," Roop told MMAjunkie radio. "I understand he's the No. 1 contender, and if he can get past me – (and that's) a big 'can' with a question mark on it – I do think he deserves it."

Hominick, 28, has been long regarded as a possible title contender. His striking is top notch and he's shored up most of his weaknesses on the ground. The Canadian has won four straight, but you could make the argument that Roop's recent opponents have actually been more impressive that the guy line for a title shot.

"But if you look at the caliber of fighters I've been fighting – (former champ) Eddie Wineland, (Leonard) Garcia on a week-and-a-half's notice, and Chan Sung Jung, who (supposedly) couldn't be knocked out – I fought top-caliber guys, and I step up and take fights."

Roop knows he can't talk himself into a title shot before the fight, but he does control his own destiny tomorrow night. A devastating win on Spike TV may force the promotion's hand. If offered Aldo, he won't shy away from the fight.  

"It's a big deal, and I think Mark deserves it if he gets past me. But that's a big if," Roop said. "I don't plan on losing this fight. It'd be nice for me to fight Jose Aldo, as well. We'll see how Jan. 22 plays out."

This is actually a return to the UFC for Hominick (19-8). A relatively small 145 pounder, he actually fought twice for the promotion as a lightweight back in 2006. He went 2-0 against Jorge Gurgel and Yves Edwards.

Roop has an example to follow. Josh Grispi was the last guy fighting for his shot at Aldo. The 23-year-old was beaten soundly by Dustin Poirier at UFC 125. He's also accustomed to being the underdog. Roop knocked off Internet sensation and T-shirt maven, Chan Sung Jung, "The Korean Zombie" in his last fight.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Hominick-fighting-for-title-shot-Roop-isn-t-Is?urn=mma-310793

Randy Couture Chuck Liddell Quinton Jackson Forrest Griffin Rashad Evans

Nick Diaz Wants Big Payday to Fight ?Mayhem,? Calls Out UFC?s Georges St-Pierre

Strikeforce welterweight champ Nick Diaz puts his title on the line against Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos on Jan. 29, but on a Thursday call to promote the Showtime headliner Diaz focused on rival Jason "Mayhem" Miller and UFC champ Georges St-Pierre.

Source: http://mmafrenzy.com/17321/nick-diaz-wants-big-payday-to-fight-mayhem-calls-out-ufcs-georges-st-pierre/

Gerard Gordeau Jonathan Goulet Wilson Gouveia Jason Grace Crosley Gracie