The Purge Begins: Tyler Toner Also Released, Plus Thoughts On Chris Horodecki And Jamie Varner

It?s one thing to know that it has to happen, it?s another thing entirely to see it in motion. And make no mistake, fans and friends? the purge has begun. In addition to the recently-announced firings of major (albeit down-on-their-luck) WEC stars Jamie Varner and Chris Horodecki, it?s also being reported that Featherweight Tyler Toner [...]

Source: http://www.fighters.com/12/29/the-purge-begins-tyler-toner-also-released-plus-thoughts-on-chris-horodecki-and-jamie-varner

Mostapha Al Turk Ryuki Ueyama Caol Uno Alexander Ustinov Umer W Chheena

UFC NEWS: Carlos Condit believes he's a fight or two away from title shot in the welterweight division

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

LogoUFC_150_672.jpg

Carlos Condit had a resurgent year in 2010. The final WEC Welterweight Champion entered the UFC in 2009 in a tough split decision loss to Martin Kampmann, and had to survive a vicious onslaught in the first round of his bout against Jake Ellenberger before coming back to steal the final two rounds of that fight.

But in 2010, Condit put together his two most impressive rounds in the UFC to defeat upstart Rory MacDonald and former Welterweight Title challenger Dan Hardy. Entering the third round against MacDonald, it was feasible that he was down two rounds to none, but he destroyed the then 20 year old in the third round and forced a stoppage with seconds remaining in the bout.

Then he turned around in October to face Hardy in front of a pro-Hardy crowd in London. In the biggest statement of his UFC career, he knocked Hardy out cold in the first round.

Now, Condit heads into 2011 looking to get into the UFC Welterweight Title picture, and in an interview with MMAWeekly.com, Condit said he believes he's only a fight or two away.

"I think I'm coming to that point. I feel like I'm ready," Condit said. "I've got to put the wins together to get my place, and I think in one or two wins I should be there."

The first step for Condit is to get past Chris Lytle, as the two will meet at UFC 127 in Australia. But should he make it past that challenge and work his way to a bout with teammate Georges St. Pierre, Condit feels he's got the mindset to go into that fight.

?I think no matter who I step in against there's always doubt, there's always the opportunity for them to knock you out cold and embarrass you, but you've just got to put that aside and put your best foot forward and go out there and fight your best fight no matter who it is."

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: Condit, with a win over Lytle, may wind up getting a shot at the Champion right away. It all depends upon how the fight between Jon Fitch and B.J. Penn plays out, and how he would defeat Lytle, but another exciting victory will put him right in the mix. While he was winning fights in the WEC there was always the question of where he truly stood in the welterweight division. He's now proving that he can hang with the challengers in the division just fine, and 2011 may be the year he fights for the UFC title for the first time.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_7883.shtml

Aldrin de Jesus  Todd Duffee  Marvin Eastman  Stav Crazy Bear Economou  Yves Edwards 

UFC NEWS: Jim Miller wants Kenny Florian, Sean Sherk, George Sotiropoulos or title shot next in 2011

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

LogoUFC_150_678.jpg

When UFC lightweight Jim Miller defeated Charles Oliveira at UFC 124 earlier this month, he very emphatically let UFC President Dana White and UFC matchmaker Joe Silva know that he wanted his shot at the division's title.

Having only been beaten by decision by the two fighters meeting for the belt on January 1, Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard, Miller believed he'd been overlooked and under-appreciated in the division.

But Miller, in an interview with MMAWeekly.com, said his reaction after the Oliveira fight was heat of the moment, but the sentiment sticks. However, he wants it to be the way he fights that gets him respect.

"I want it to be the way I fight that gets me that recognition, and hopefully it was that performance really," Miller said. "I was just kind of letting off a little steam after."

With that said, Miller listed a number of fights that he'd like the UFC to offer him in 2011.

"I'd love the next shot at the title," Miller said. "I'd love a shot at [Kenny] Florian when he's healthy, or [Sean] Sherk, or I really would have liked them not to have given [George] Sotiropoulos [someone] so quickly. I know they're trying to build up the Australian market, but to me a fight between me and him makes sense."

Sotiropoulos has been scheduled to meet Dennis Siver at UFC 127 in Australia, but Miller said he'd be ready to step up if the UFC approached him to replace Siver in that fight. But for now, he's simply awaiting his next assignment, and he'll try to work his way back toward a title shot in 2011.

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: All of the fights Miller named would make for excellent matchups, and right now I think the most realistic options are Florian and Sherk. Florian's recovering from an injury that forced him out of a fight with Evan Dunham next month, but if he's able to go a month or two after they could definitely put Miller-Florian together on one of the many March events on the docket. I'm not sure what Sherk's timetable is, but a Miller-Sherk fight would also be excellent for March.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_7907.shtml

Ricardo Arona  Noboru Asahi Marcus Aurelio  Mikhail Avetisyan Luiz Azeredo 

OTHER NEWS: Zuffa cuts WEC lightweight Chris Horodecki following loss to Donald Cerrone

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

LogoWEC_150_146.jpg

Lightweight Chris Horodecki will not be making the migration from the WEC to the UFC. According to a report from MMAJunkie.com, Horodecki has been released by Zuffa following his loss to Donald Cerrone earlier this month at WEC 53.

The 23-year-old Horodecki went 2-2 in his four fight stint in the UFC's sister organization. His losses to Cerrone and Anthony Njokuani bookended wins over Danny Downes and Ed Ratcliff. The former IFL standout brought a 14-1 record with him into the WEC, but after the submission loss to Cerrone he won't get an opportunity in the UFC just yet.

But the young fighter remains optimistic about his future, and said he'll make his way back.

"One door closes and another one opens," he said. "I'll be back sooner than later"

Link to Original Source Article

Penick's Analysis: Two decisive losses over four fights in the WEC makes this cut unsurprising. The lightweight division simply has too many fighters, and a lot more will still be cut in the coming months. Horodecki will likely make his way to the UFC at some point, as he's still just 23 years old and has plenty of time left in his career to improve, pick up wins and make his way back to the organization. He likely knows he's got things to work on, and if he can improve in the areas he needs to improve, he'll get his shot.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_7960.shtml

Steve Jennum Ryan Jensen DaMarques Johnson Jon Jones Nathan Jones 

ROUNDTABLE: What is your "Fight of the Year" for 2010? Hansen, Hyden, Hobaugh, Williams and Penick

MMATorch_Droid_App_logo_180_26.jpg

What is your fight of the year for 2010 and why?

RICH HANSEN, MMATORCH COLUMNIST

My fight of 2010 is Jorge Santiago vs. Kazuo Misaki 2 at Sengoku 14.  Not only is it my favorite fight of 2010, it's my all time favorite fight.  When the two first fought each other in 2009, Misaki dominated a fantastic fight until getting choked out with less than two minutes left.  In the rematch, Misaki dominated a fantastic fight until Santiago took control and Misaki's corner threw in the towel with 30 seconds left.  But it isn't just the backstory that makes this my favorite fight of 2010, but it was also MMA at it's highest quality.  It's just a damn shame that so many people in the States did not see this classic.

FRANK HYDEN, MMATORCH CONTRIBUTOR

I have to go with Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung from WEC 48. That was the most entertaining fight I've seen in some time. It may not have been the most technical, but it was great for sitting around with friends and marveling at the madness. That's definitely my fight of the year.

ERIC HOBAUGH, MMATORCH SPECIALIST

Leonard Garcia vs. Chan Sung Jung was my favorite fight from the WEC.  If you have not seen this fight you need to.  It is not only my favorite fight from the WEC, it is also my favorite fight in MMA this year.  I think Jung won the fight.  When the judges awarded Garcia the victory, It was disappointing.  It took nothing away from how awesome this fight was.

ALEX WILLIAMS, MMATORCH CONTRIBUTOR

Maybe it's the recency bias, but Anthony Pettis vs. Ben Henderson.  It was exciting throughout, fought with a high-level of skill (much higher than I anticipated), was up for grabs going into the fifth round, and featured one of the most amazing moves in MMA history (the Showtime kick).

JAMIE PENICK, MMATORCH EDITOR-IN-CHIEF

Anthony Pettis vs. Ben Henderson stole it in the last major fight of 2010 for me. In a close second was the Jorge Santiago vs. Kazuo Misaki fight from Japan, and tied in third were Chael Sonnen vs. Anderson Silva from UFC 117 and Yves Jabouin vs. Mark Hominick from WEC 49. But Pettis and Henderson put on the best fight of the year.

After two closely contested rounds, the fight really picked up in the third round. The back and forth on the ground was excellent, with both fighters gaining position, reversing, attempting submissions and more. Then the fifth round brought out Pettis' striking advantage, where he utilized flying knees and fast hands before pulling off the move of the year with that kick off the wall. It was edge-of-your seat excitement in the final fight in WEC history with a shot at the UFC Lightweight Championship on the line, and you just can't get any better than that fight this year.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/roundtables/article_7936.shtml

Paweł Nastula Kazuhiro Nakamura Yoshihiro Nakao Roy Nelson Mario Neto

No Location, No Problem: Dana White Stills Wants A Show In Afghanistan Despite The Bombing Of The Planned Site

Say what you want about the ufc and its always-controversial President Dana White, but both the company and the man have never been against supporting the troops. The UFC is set to hold its second ?Fight for the Troops? event in 2011, a special ?Fight Night Live? card held in front of troops and designed [...]

Source: http://www.fighters.com/12/30/no-location-no-problem-dana-white-stills-wants-a-show-in-afghanistan-despite-the-bombing-of-the-planned-site

Mike Plotcheck Ross Pointon Trevor Prangley Daniel Puder Jens Pulver