BELLATOR NEWS: Iraq War vet Steve Carl officially confirmed for season four welterweight tournament
By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief
Bellator has confirmed the seventh participant in their season four welterweight tournament, as the organization announced on Monday the participation of previously reported Steve Carl in the field. The 26-year-old is a former U.S. Army sergeant who served in the Iraq War, taking up MMA while he was stationed at Fort Hood in Texas. The 14-2 professional holds a 2-1 mark inside Bellator's cage. "I don't feel like I've ever been able to show my true potential out there in any of my fights, but I think fans can expect to see a more explosive and fired-up Steve Carl than ever before in 2011," said Carl. "What was good enough last year isn't going to cut it this year." "I think the level of talent in this upcoming welterweight tournament is phenomenal. It's really off the charts this year. I'm planning on fighting from the top to the bottom this year. I think that the further I make it in the tournament, the easier my opponents are going to get. I'm expecting to fight one of the best guys right off the bat, so that's what I'm getting ready for." Carl's taken a rough path to this tournament. His fighting career was nearly cut short at the end of 2006, when he was badly injured in a car crash that had doctors questioning whether he'd walk again. But Carl persevered and made his way back to fighting, and now looks to enter a tough field of 170 lb. fighters for a $100,000 payday and a shot at Bellator Welterweight Champion Ben Askren. "Steve Carl has been on an incredible journey, and I'm very happy to see him compete in this stacked tournament," said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. "Steve has been a tremendous competitor throughout his fights in Bellator, and I expect him to take his game to the next level in this tournament." The season four tournament now has seven confirmed participants, as Carl joins Dan Hornbuckle, Rick Hawn, Brent Weedman, Jim Wallhead, Chris Lozano, and Lyman Good. Jay Hieron has been reported as the eighth participant, but he has not been officially confirmed by Bellator. Bellator's fourth season begins this March on MTV2.
|
Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/Bellator/article_8183.shtml
Ryo Piranha Chonan Dan The Sandman Christison Logan The Pink Pounder Clark Steve The Snake Claveau Rich No Love Clementi